Air conditioners recycle the air in the room to make it feel refreshing and cool. However, an unpleasant or musty smell coming from your air conditioner has a direct impact on your mood. Musty smell are caused due to several factors and can be eliminated with the help of professional cleaning services.
What Causes Your Air Conditioner To Smeel Musty?
Moisture is the building block for mold and mildew growth which can cause a musty smell from your air conditioners. Here are some common reasons that could be causing a mildew odor to develop in your AC.
Air conditioning systems trap tiny particles that settle in the filters over time and cause mildew growth when exposed to moisture. If your air conditioner’s filter is dirty and clogged, this may result in your AC smelling musty.
Clogged Drain Lines
The condensate drain line helps in removing the condensation generated by the coils. A clogged drain can promote the growth of mildew around the coil and cause your air conditioner to smell musty.
Related reading: Tips For Prevent Mold & Mildew In Your Home
How Do You Get The Musty Smell Out Of An AC
You can clean the air conditioner yourself. However, you should take some precautions to prevent any damage to the AC or injury to yourself. Here are the steps that will help you get rid of the musty smell of your air conditioner:
- Carefully remove the outer case that exposes the fans, coil, and compressor.
- Move the unit to a place where it will remain secure during the cleaning process.
- Blow compressed air from a distance to ensure that internal components do not get damaged.
- Use a brush or a smaller piece of cloth to clean the finer dust particles in the front and rear of the unit.
- Clean the vent and the duct carefully with some cleaning solution and then clear out the cleaning solution with water.
- Flush the drip tray to clear off all dust and debris, however, do not apply excess pressure.
- Allow the air conditioning unit to dry for a couple of hours and wipe it with a clean cloth.
- Reassemble the unit only after it has completely dried.
When You Have To Call A Professional For Your Air Conditioner Smells Musty
The location and extent of the mildew might make cleaning the unit difficult. Also, your AC may continue to produce a musty smell due to moisture and filth collected in the coil and ductwork, which is challenging to clean yourself. Professional cleaning can help in resolving the root cause of the problem and keep the musty smell away.
If you are looking for AC cleaning services in Virginia, contact us today. Abel Air’s experts will ensure your AC unit is mildew free and smells as fresh as ever!
Abel Air Services
Founded in 2000, Abel Air Services, is one of the most trusted and licensed (HVAC) service providers, proudly serving Arlington, Woodbridge, Dumfries, Stafford, Fredericksburg, Bristow, Centreville, Nokesville, Gainesville, Manassas, Manassas Park, Warrenton, Chantilly, Reston, Herndon, Fairfax, Oakton, Clifton, Fairfax Station, Burke, Springfield and Alexandria.
Our management team has more than 20 years of experience in various aspects of HVAC technology. All our HVAC technicians are professionally skilled and certified to deliver outstanding residential HVAC services as well as commercial HVAC services to our clients.
We offer professional HVAC services including installation, maintenance, air conditioning repair, and more at very reasonable prices.